Distinguish, differentiate, compare and explain what is the Difference between Ferrous and Non-Ferrous Metals. Comparison and Differences.
Difference between Ferrous and Non-Ferrous Metals
1.Ferrous metals contains any amount of iron in its basic form. Non-Ferrous metals does not contains any amount of iron in its basic form.
2. Thats why Ferrous metals possesses magnetic property and makes them prone to corrosion. Non-Ferrous metals do not possess magnetic property, but resist corrosion much better than ferrous metals.
3. Ferrous metals have a high tensile strength since they can carry a high amount of strain. Non-Ferrous metals have very low tensile strength.
4. Ferrous metals have the ability for oxidation, known as corrosion. Oxidation of ferrous metals forms as a reddish-brown deposit on the surface & is oxide of iron. Non-Ferrous metals have typically lighter weights, higher melting points & are basically resistant to corrosion.
5. Ferrous metals are typically used when the magnetic attraction of iron may be a disadvantage. (used where strength is the primary focal point). Non-Ferrous metals are ideal for electronic & electrical applications.
6. Examples of Ferrous metals are pig iron, steel, cast iron, etc. Examples of Non-Ferrous metals are cobalt, aluminium, zinc, etc.
Difference between Non-Ferrous Metals vs Ferrous
Ferrous vs Non-Ferrous Metals
Differences between Non-Ferrous Metals vs Ferrous