What are Difference between Shrimp and Prawn
Distinguish, differentiate, compare and explain what is the Difference between Shrimp and Prawn. Comparison and Differences.
Difference between Shrimp and Prawn
Americans say 'shrimp; while Aussies and British say 'prawn' - but are these really two names for the same thing or is there a difference? Those who use both terms might say that prawns are the big ones and shrimps are the small ones. Wrong! Actually shrimps and prawns are different species. Let's see main difference between Shrimp and Prawn here:
1. Shrimp are smaller, have shorter legs and have claws only on two pairs. Prawns are larger in size, and have larger legs with claws on three pairs.
2. In Shrimp, gills are lamellar, i.e. plate-like. Prawns have branching gills.
3. Shrimp are decapod crustaceans belonging to the sub-order Pleocyemata. Prawns are decapod crustaceans belonging to the sub-order Dendrobranchiata.
4. Shrimp are generally smaller than prawns. Prawns are typically larger than shrimps.
5. Shrimp feature lamellar gills, which are plate-like in structure. Prawns have branching gills.
6. The front pincers of shrimp are typically the largest. The second pincers of prawns are larger than the front ones.
7. Shrimp have shorter legs and have claws only on two pairs of legs. Prawns have longer legs than shrimp. Also, prawns usually have claws on three pairs of their legs.
Difference between Prawn vs Shrimp
Shrimp vs Prawn
Differences between Prawn vs Shrimp