Distinguish, differentiate, compare and explain what is the difference between web server and application server. Comparison and Differences.
The Web Server
The Application Server
An application server exposes business logic to client applications through various protocols, possibly including HTTP. While a Web server mainly deals with sending HTML for display in a Web browser, an application server provides access to business logic for use by client application programs. The application program can use this logic just as it would call a method on an object (or a function in the procedural world).
Difference between Application Server and Web Server
1. Webserver serves pages for viewing in web browser, application server provides exposes businness logic for client applications through various protocols.
2. Webserver exclusively handles http requests.application server serves bussiness logic to application programs through any number of protocols.
3. Webserver delegation model is fairly simple,when the request comes into the webserver,it simply passes the request to the program best able to handle it(Server side program). It may not support transactions and database connection pooling.
4. Application server is more capable of dynamic behaviour than webserver. We can also configure application server to work as a webserver. We can say an application server is a superset of the webserver.
5. Web Server serves static HTML pages or gifs, jpegs, etc., and can also run code written in CGI, JSP etc. A Web server handles the HTTP protocol. Eg of some web server are IIS or apache. An Application Server is used to run business logic or dynamically generated presentation code. It can either be .NET based or J2EE based (BEA WebLogic Server, IBM WebSphere, JBoss).
Difference between Application Servers vs Difference Between Web Server
Difference Between Web Server vs Application Servers
Differences between Application Servers vs Difference Between Web Server