Distinguish, differentiate, compare and explain what is the difference between Soluble and Insoluble Fiber. Comparison and Differences.
What is Fibre?
Fiber is an indigestible complex carbohydrate that is only found in plant foods, such as fruits and vegetables. Because our bodies are unable to digest it, fiber is free of calories. There are 2 categories: soluble and insoluble. The major difference is in the way each type passes through the digestive tract.
There are two kinds of fibre:
Soluble fibre, which is normally soft moist fibre, found in fruit (but not the skins), and vegetables and pulses.
Insoluble fibre, which is mainly the outer shell of seeds, grains, fruits, and vegetables. It is the tougher less digestible fibre, it will not mash-up and can be stringy or coarse.
Differences between Soluble Fiber and InSoluble Fiber
|S.No.||Soluble Fiber||InSoluble Fiber|
|1||Dissolves in water to form a gel-like substance. Slows digestion and assist the body in absorbing vital nutrients from foods.||Does not dissolve in water; passes through the digestive tract as consumed.|
|2||Can lower total and LDL cholesterol and blood gluclose.||Provides stool bulk and promotes regularity.|
|3||Food sources: black beans, apples, oats, barley, Brussels sprouts, sunflower seeds, flax.||Food sources: asparagus, blackberries, chickpeas, dates, lentils, quinoa|
Why should I eat fiber?
Both types of fiber have important health benefits including:
- Decreases blood fats, including cholesterol and triglycerides
- Allows for early feelings of fullness and decreased appetite which can help with weight loss
- Reduces high blood glucose
- Attracts water into the digestive tract, softening stools and preventing constipation
- Promotes healthy gut bacteria in the intestines
- Increases hormonal excretion rates
- Increases the amount of calories burned by the body
- May decrease risk of developing colon cancer
- Enhances immunity
Difference between InSoluble Fiber vs Soluble
Soluble vs InSoluble Fiber
Differences between InSoluble Fiber vs Soluble