Distinguish, compare and explain what is the difference between speed and velocity in physics. Comparison and Differences.
Difference between speed and velocity
1. Speed is the distance covered by the body per unit time. Velocity is the displacement of the body per unit time.
2. Speed is a scalar quantity. Velocity is a vector quantity.
3. The average speed of a moving body can never be zero. The average velocity of a moving body can be zero when the displacement is zero.
4. Speed gives an idea about the rapidity of motion of the body. Velocity gives an idea about rapidity as well as the position of the body in motion.
5. The speed of a moving body can never be negative. The velocity of a moving body can be positive, negative or zero depending on point of reference.
6. SI unit of both speed and the velocity is meter/sec.
Difference between Velocity vs Speed
Speed vs Velocity
Differences between Velocity vs Speed